Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 01:52:00 -0800
From:      Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ninja405 <ninja405@warlords.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com 574tx support

At 01:34 AM 3/12/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>Whoa!  I think you might have bitten the poor man's head off just a
>bit too quickly here.

And after I sent it I said to myself, "self, I can see why Jordan had his
balls caught in an updraft..."

I had to work in Oakland today, see what it did to me...;-) I guess I owe
the ninja an apology...

Ninja sama, gomen nasai. Kyo-wa taihen deshita, boku no tenshou wa taxan
bacatari deshita. Keredomo, boku wa mo bacatari deshita, gomen, ne!

Anyway, I've talked about this before. The 574 card is one of the better
10/100 cards for the laptops because it is 16 bit.

It only had support for Win, as the 575, the 32 bit CardBus model. I had
one of those actually and sent it back to 3Com in return for this 574, due
to the problem of the 2nd card (has to be a 16 bit card, since few laptops
have 2 32 bit slots) doesn't show up on a reboot.

Laptops have been plagued with pccard support in general, and no suprise,
since most laptop manufacturers all used different standards.

I think the new models are better conforming, I'm not totally sure though,
and my laptop is a year and a half old.

Back to the 3c574-TX. Linux supports it, and is the only version of PC unix
that does (providing you consider Linux to be unix).

Also note, the 574 has a limitation that it will really only do about
27mbps-30mbps on a 100mbps connection, but it is 16 bit.

I don't think there is nearly as many 574 cards as there is 589 cards, and
I got the 589 recentely as it is supported by ALL PC OSs, too bad it was
discontinued, those Mega$#!Ts with the X-jack_off connector is really a
quack design...

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.
aland@SoftOrchestra.com