Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:50:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Hetzels@aol.com
To:        marcs@znep.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache FrontPage Module Port Completed

In a message dated 97-10-29 11:26:23 EST, marcs@znep.com writes:

> Erm... this makes no sense now.  It appears you are not doing what you
>  said you would.  You said you were having things run as www and you needed
>  the new user so they could be writable.  That is a hole.  Looking further,
>  it appears like you are not doing this.  If a user "www" exists, it has
>  traditionally been used to run the server as.  Using it for some different
>  and obscure purpose will lead to trouble.

When I run FrontPage 98 to create a new sub-web, it needs to beable to write
a lock file to the /usr/local/etc/apache directory & read the httpd.conf
file.  If this directory and file are not owned by the same user as the
directory /usr/local/www/data then FrontPage 98 errors out saying it can't
create the lock file or read/write the httpd.conf file.

Ok instead of www, what Name should I assign for the owner & group for these
two directories?

NOTE: The default httpd.conf file assigns user nobody as the user the server
runs under after it starts from root.

>  Instead, you created this new user for no reason.  Why is it necessary?
See above for why it was neccessary.

>  You say the extensions have to write to the config file and that users
>  have to make their home directory world writable.  That does not fit at

Not exactly, in order to create a sub-web (~somebody) in a users home
directory (/home/somebody) the administrator has to temporarily make the
directory world writable in so that FP98 can create the sub-web
(/home/somebody/public_html), after the user sub-web is installed the
permissions can be set back to normal.

>  all with using fpexe, so I assumed you were not and that (as you said) the
>  config files had to be writable by FrontPage.  It appears that is not the
>  case.

The config files no longer has to be writable by FrontPage when using
apache-fp (module & fpexe), but owned by the same user as the directory
/usr/local/www/data. The fpexe & module checks the owner of the httpd.conf
file before it will allow access to that file, even if the file is world
readable.

>  The only thing I can figure out is that you are using Microsoft's install
>  script and that it is broken and doesn't properly support fpexe; in that
>  case, fix the script don't create another user.

The install script does support the fpexe, just that it causes the permission
problems between the ../www/data & ../etc/apache directories.   Originally
the script would read the httpd.conf file for the user & group to chown the
/usr/local/www/data directory.  When it did this it caused the errors I
mentioned above when using FrontPage 98 to create a sub-web.  I tried fixing
the script by assigning a known user to these directories and having the
fp_install.sh script read the document root (usr/local/www/data) to determine
the user & group names.  That is why the port now creates a user & group and
assigns them to these two directories prior to running the fp_install.sh
script.

Scot