Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:36:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slab allocator update

:On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Jeff Roberson wrote:
:
:>
:> 1) Fix the last lock order reversal.
:> 2) Fixup the statistics for uma and malloc.
:> 3) Convince people to test it.
:> 4) Commit.
:
:Please try integrate it in such a form that both new and old can be
:compiled in with a config option.
:(for a while)
:
:> 5) Work on converting everything to uma_* interfaces, and adding
:> initializers.
:
:Do lots of testingto prove that it's an improvement.

    I think it only needs to have 'similar' performance to be an
    improvement, since the eventual goal is to collapse the
    kernel malloc and zalloc subsytems into one.

    Right now we have rather serious issues with KVM exhaustion.  The
    fact that the existing kernel malloc uses kmem_map and zalloc uses
    kernel_map for expansion, and that none of the memory is ever returned,
    is one of the primary culprits.  I would happy if that mess were
    consolidated into one universal allocation mechanism capable of
    returning memory to the system even if it meant a slight loss in
    performance.

    I'm not sure I agree with an integration that tries to keep the
    old mechanisms alive.  If it's easy to do, then sure.  But otherwise
    we should just grin and bear it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>