Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 05:47:18 -0800
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
To:        "Thomas F. Keefe" <keefe@cse.psu.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeouts with adaptec 1742

Last October, you had a discussion on the FreeBSD SCSI list with Julian
Elischer about your difficulties with an Adaptec 1742 and a Seagate ST32151N,
under FreeBSD.  You said that the combination worked under DOS.

On Oct. 12, 1997, Thomas F. Keefe wrote:
>During the commit step during the install, the system hangs (the activity LED
>on the adaptec remains on) and after about 15sec. The message "Panic(adaptec
>1742) for historical reasons" is displayed and after a short delay, the system
>reboots.

The e-mail thread in the FreeBSD data base petered out on the 30th of
October, with no apparent resolution.

Since I'm experiencing a similar problem with a 1742, FreeBSD 2.2.5, and a
Seagate ST34571N, I'm hoping your problem actually was resolved.  Was it?  If
so, what was the resolution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com