Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:45:00 +0100
From:      Gunther Nikl <gnikl@justmail.de>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mesa: LLVM_DEFAULT usage

Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Gunther Nikl <gnikl@justmail.de> writes:
>
> > While testing the phabricator differential for mesa-dri/mesa-libs
> > (D19100), I noticed that I don't understand it's dependency on
> > LLVM. I assumed that the referenced LLVM version is required to
> > build the ports, but the build used cc from base unless I added
> > explicitly set CC and CXX as done in the PPC block. Only
> > llvm-config from the referenced port is used. Is this intentional?
> > I am using 11.3-RELEASE AMD64.
>
> See https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyDoIHaveToBuildLLVMWhenIAlreadyHaveClangInstalled

Thanks for the link, I believe I looked at this page before. FWIW, I know
that some mesa dri drivers use libLLVM. However, I assumed that to use a
certain libLLVM version its also necessary to build with the compiler that
is providing the library. Apparently mesa can be build with whatever
compiler the system provides if it has required features. And from the
referenced LLVM port only libLLVM (and other referenced libraries) is
necessary. Is this correct?

> New Intel driver called "iris" uses libLLVM, too.

I would like to use this new driver, pity that I am on Haswell.

Regards,
Gunther Nikl