Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:37:52 -0400
From:      "Marcel Mason" <marcel@nunanet.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X & kde : lovin it!

-----Original Message-----
From: geoff jukema <gjukema@silk.net>
To: newbies@FreeBSD.ORG <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 9:01 PM
Subject: X & kde : lovin it!

>I upgraded my BSD machine recently from the old put-together from useless
>pieces 386, to a new Pentium 200.  I did this because i wanted my faster
>machine to be FreeBSD with all the goodies; aka X & try out kde.

I'm headed down the same road, I've decided that no matter what the little
devil says BSD & Win95 cannot reside happily on the same machine if there
are multiple people in the household using it (I boot to BSD, they boot to
Win95, I reboot to ... well you get the picture). Add to that the fact that
and my video card (Matrox) don't seem to get along too well and a
kde website that is just *far* to easy to get to <grin> and the solution is
clear....
get another box, built for *nix (yes they are available) and leave the other
box
to the rest of those in the house who want it.

>I was really impressed with how little difficulty X really was.  I ran the
>GUI install from the two different options (/stand/sysinstall), and i
>clicked around a few tabs and before i could say good-bye microsoft, I had
>a running X windows.

Also glad to hear that another newbie made it run, gives me hope that when
the new box arrives I too will experience success !!

>Then came kde.  It looks great and installed just as easy as X.  I
>donwloaded the files (after reading some docs on what was required), and
>ran add_pkg on it.  All i had to do was add a few things to my path, and
>presto!

Makes me happier still, there seem to be a fairly large number of {k}app's
available and I still *do* need to get some regular work done.

Marcel