Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:42:02 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        dedrick@dsl-146-127.resnet.purdue.edu
Cc:        dnelson@allantgroup.com, adam@vectors.cx, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux compatability broken

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Dedrick <dedrick@dsl-146-127.resnet.purdue.edu>
To: Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:58:42 -0500 (EST)

> I changed from 6 to 7.1 when -STABLE did using portupgrade, and
> managed not to break anything in the system, including Opera and
> Acrobat5.  Don't know whether it was just dumb luck, but as a general
> cure for running two versions of any port, especially linux_base, I tend
> to favor it.

Yeah, and were it not for Maple's explicit complaints about wanting
ld-linux.so.1 I might be in good shape.

As for installing both, I get tons of complaints when installing off the
ports because 6 and 7.1 have different versions of glibc and then the
ports makefile quits:

[snip]
So it would seem communicator-4.79 is branded svr4 by default from the
ports, it will not execute under linux_base7.1 branded as either svr4 or
linux.  It will run under linux_base6 with either svr4 or linux brands if
svr4.ko is unloaded, but must be branded linux if svr4.ko is loaded.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Just to clarify, I mean that using portupgrade will
(hopefully, and in my experience, almost always) take
care of your dependencies during the upgrade process,
thus saving you from the IMO less preferable
alternative of running more than one version of a
port.

Have you tried portupgrade with linux_base (after a
backup of the old linux_base port skeleton and
installation of the new one) to see whether Maple
is happy?

RE the svr4 stuff, that is way beyond my ken - I'll
happily leave it to you and Mr. Nelson.  :)

Jud