Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 11:42:00 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Jim Arnold" <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Subject:   Re: AMD761 or KT266A advice

"Doug Reynolds" writes:
> On Sun, 19 May 2002 18:31:03 -0400, Jim Arnold wrote:
> >I'm curious to know if anyone is running either of these chipsets
> >and would like to share their experience and which board
> >they run. After my research I came down to these two boards
> >for each chipset:
> >
> >Epox EP-8K7A for AMD761 Chipset
> >Epox EP-8KHA+ for KT266A Chipset
> >
> >I'm wondering how much faster a KT266A board would be
> >over an AMD761 chipset board, when, for example, it came
> >to compiling the latest Mozilla or making my world. But my overriding
> >concern is stability. I would be putting an Athlon XP 1500, 1600 or 1700
> >in this system.

[Doug Reynolds snipped, sorry]

I recently switched from an ASUS A7M266 (AMD 761) to a Shuttle
AK35GTR (KT266A). The main reason for the switch was that the Shuttle
board has 4 DIMM slots so that I could use all my DIMMs.

However, according to the tests I've read the KT266A is faster than
the AMD 761. I can't really say that that's true, since things like
``make buildworld'' times are greatly influenced by disk speed, etc.
But the new board is definitely not slower than the old one was.

One great advantage of using the KT266A ist that it's possible to set
a bit in register 0x95 of the chip such that the CPU actually halts
when idle. This means that the CPU runs about 15 C cooler than with
the AMD chipset. I find that to be well worth making the switch.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org gj@denx.de