Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:22:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: overheating AMD K6-2 400

> From: Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:46:39 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> About a year ago I purchased an AMD K6-2 400 MHz processor for my
> FreeBSD system at home. It had been working fine until recently. The
> last two months I have been seeing some rather strange problems like
> corrupted files from cvsup, bad dependencies from a buildworld even with
> a fresh object tree, and signals 4 and 10 during compilation. The last
> week I have had two spontaneous reboots which caused severe file system
> damage.
>
> I knew it was hardware trouble and I finally pinned it down to the
> CPU. The problems definitely start showing up after the CPU has warmed
> up a bit. It is obviously a thermal problem or at least temperature is
> a factor. I checked to make sure that the CPU fan was working and it
> is. I remembered people on the FreeBSD lists saying that they had to
> underclock there AMD K6-2s to get them stable so I clocked this one down
> to 350. The problems took a little longer to surface but still do. I
> should mention that the motherboard is a FIC VA503+ and the system had
> never been overclocked. I pulled the CPU out and put my old Cyrix 133
> 6x86-MX chip in. This is working fine but is slow of course.
>
> My questions are: Does it sound like the AMD chip is shot or can I try
> to enhance the cooling somehow and still use it? Or would I be better
> off getting another CPU? If I get another CPU should I get another AMD
> or should I go with one of the Cyrix MII models? I would want to put in
> a CPU that was at least 400 MHz.

No, it simply needs better cooling. My K6-III/450 was acting in a
manner almost identical to yours. If you have a mobo that supports
environmental monitoring, install healthd from the ports. You can use
"healthd -d" to provide a running report on temperature. Mine would
exceed 50 degrees C during a buildworld before it died and the
temperature went up very quickly at some points. I have no doubt that
gcc 2.95 hits the CPU much harder than 2.8 did.

Also, the mobo monitors the temperature under the CPU while AMD specs
a maximum temperature of 60 C on top of the chip. I suspect that the
top get hotter than the bottom.

I fixed the problem by spending $2 at Radio Shack for a little heat
sink grease. Just unclipped the heat sink and spread a THIN layer of
grease (just enough to have a layer of white) over the heat
sink. Re-installed the heat sink and it ran like a champ. Buildworld
ran without interruption or error for the first time since I upgraded
to 4.0-Stable, and did so in a hot (29 C) room.

Good luck!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)