Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 21:42:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

[-current removed from the cc list]

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Jason Fesler wrote:

> One suggestion:  add (if possible) "make refresh" or "make update"
> or "make current" or  *something* that would allow one to easy update
> the PORTS directory to whatever is current for that version of the OS.
> I don't know how hard it would be to make that an *efficient* mechanism -
> personally, I just suck down the entire tar file to update, but I'm
> also not  at the end of a 28k modem.

The vast majority of the time there is no current ports tree for anything
other than -current.  Soon after a release ships, the ports tree moves on
and gradually begins breaking more and more when used with anything other
than -current.  That is probably the biggest FAQ about the ports tree.
"Q: but it don't compile on (practically any release).  A: Yes, that's how
it is supposed to be."

I think it would be a good idea to make an effort to keep ports compiling
with reasonably new versions for as long as possible.  For most ports (eg.
Apache and rlim_t) it would take only trivial changes to keep them
working... yes, it is extra effort and isn't reasonably possible in all
cases but I think it is worthwhile.