Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 15:42:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joe@ns.via.net (Joe McGuckin)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: You're in a maze of twisty little boots...

Joe McGuckin stands accused of saying:
> The first boot program asks me to choose F1 for dos
> or F5 for FreeBSD.

Hmm, is it F5 for FreeBSD, or F5 for disk 2?  The latter I'm familiar with,
the former not.

> After selecting F5 I am once again asked to choose a function key: this time
> it F1 for FreeBSD, F2 for FreeBSD, F3 for FreeBSD, F5 for dos...
>
> Well, you get the picture.
>
> How do I fix this? Obviously I can boot using the boot pgm on the floppy, but
> THEN what?

It looks like you wrote the bootmanage to the second disk; this shouldn't be
a drama, pressing F1 at the second prompt should boot FreeBSD.  If not, then
something kooky is happening.

> I assume that I need to write the boot program out to the FreeBSD boot disk.
>
> What is the EXACT command I need to use? I've tried various 'disklabel'
> commands without success.

Hmm.  This is actually an MBR thing, not a disklabel thing per se.
IIRC, disklabel -r -B <disk> should do the trick; your ultimate goal is to
end up with the "normal" bootcode on the disk, presuming that all
youi have on your second disk is FreeBSD.

>   Joe

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[