Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:00:10 -0400
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound card irq with pcm driver

Another IRQ question... this time related to the built-in sound card.

The specs for a Dell Latitude CP (see below) say that IRQ 5 is
``Reserved; generated by the audio controller''. But then it also says
that IRQ 7 and 10 can be used for an audio controller is not used by
something else.

So I guess my question is twofold (the first one most critical):

1) Should I attach the pcm driver to IRQ 5 or is IRQ 5 reserved by the
   hardware and pcm should be put on a different IRQ

2) When the specs say that IRQ 7 and 10 can be used for an audio
   controller, are they referring to a separate piece of audio
   hardware in addition to the built-in sound card, or are they
   referring to a controller in the software sense?

I do have the pcm driver assigned to IRQ 5 right now and it does work,
but I would like to understand it better to avoid any surprises down
the road.

Thanks,

Chuck

In case anyone is interested... Dell Latitude CP I/O map and IRQ
assignments:

I/O Map

  0000-001F:	DMA controller #1
  0020-003F:	Interrupt controller #1
  0040-005F:	System timers
  0060-006F:	Keyboard controller
  0070-007F:	RTC and NMI enable
  0080-009F:	DMA page registers
  00A0-00BF:	Interrupt controller #2
  00C0-00DF:	DMA controller #2
  00F0-00FF:	Math coprocessor
  0170-0177:	CD-ROM controller
  01F0-01F7:	Hard-disk drive controller
  0210-0217:	Audio controller
  0220-022F:	Audio controller
  0270-0277:	Fast IR
  0376-0376:	IDE controller
  0378-037F:	LPT1
  0388-038B:	VGA
  03F0-03F7:	Diskette controller
  03F8-03FF:	COM1
  0530-0537:	Audio board
  0778-077R:	ECO registers
  ECE0-ECFF:	USB controller
  FFA0-FFAF:	PCI-IDE bus registers

IRQ Line Assignments

  IRQ0:  Reserved; generated by the system timer
  IRQ1:  Reserved; generated by the keyboard controller to signal that
         the keyboard output buffer is full
  IRQ2:  Reserved; generated internally by the interrupt controller to
         enable IRQ8 through IRQ15
  IRQ3:  Available for use by a PC Card unless the built-in serial port
         or infrared port is configured for COM2 (the default) or COM4
  IRQ4:  Available for use by a PC Card unless the built-in serial port
         is configured for COM1 (the default) or COM3
  IRQ5:  Reserved; generated by the audio controller
  IRQ6:  Reserved; generated by the diskette drive controller to
         indicate that the diskette drive requires the attention of
         the microprocessor
  IRQ7:  Available for use by a PC Card or audio controller if the
         built-in parallel port is disabled
  IRQ8:  Reserved; generated by the system I/O controller's RTC
  IRQ9:  Reserved; generated by the video controller
  IRQ10: Available for use by a PC Card or audio controller unless the
         C/Port Advanced Port Replicator or C/Dock Expansion Station
         is attached
  IRQ11: Generated by the USB and PC Card controllers; available for
         use by a PC Card
  IRQ12: Reserved; generated by the keyboard controller to indicate
         that the output buffer of the integrated touchpad or external
         PS/2 mouse is full
  IRQ13: Reserved; generated by the internal math coprocessor
  IRQ14: Reserved; generated by the hard-disk drive to indicate that
         the drive requires the attention of the microprocessor
  IRQ15: Reserved; generated by the CD-ROM drive in the modular bay to