Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 22:07:41 +0700
From:      Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim@gmail.com>
To:        Alexander Cox <alexander.j.cox@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 8.2R can't startx

> If startx gave three xterms, with no .xinitrc, you were probably seeing
> twm (X's default wm). This means that the problem may not be xorg. If
> you delete .xinitrc you should be greeted with these xterms again and be
> able to move them etc.
> You can try to delete your xorg.conf, that often gets me into a DE. Due
> to HAL and the new versions of xorg trying to make config files useless,
> an xorg.conf can sometimes stop xorg from running. I have not had an
> xorg.conf in about two years. It sounds (and is) silly, but might work.
> Make sure to backup your xorg.conf just in case.
I tried mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ~/.xinitrc to something else.
For future use, I don't remove them.
Then issue startx, I see one login and two xterms (3 GUI panes)
But after I brought back ~/.xinitrc (without /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to start KDE.
The problem persists, only a small square box moving on black GUI screen.

--
Gua Chung Lim

Please help donate to Japan.
-- for earthquake, tsunami and nuclear radiation reliefs (2011)