Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:19:31 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Steve Friedrich" <sfriedri@laker.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-scsi" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: old SCSI vs CAM

> I am pretty new to FreeBSD, but have been around unix awhile.
>
> I am currently running 2.2.7 STABLE and I believe that in the near
> future, CAM is going to affect me.
>
> I have a CD-ROM attached to a MediaVision PAS16 using the nca driver.
> I believe that when CAM gets rolled into STABLE, I'll lose the nca
> driver... Am I right ??  This won't be catastrophic for me, it will
> just be something to address.  I'd hope that someone would whack
> together a CAM version of nca... But I can understand if you don't want
> to bother.

CAM won't be rolled into -stable.  It's likely to continue to continue
to exist as a set of patches against -stable though.

It's unlikely that an nca driver will be written for CAM unless someone
becomes wildly enthusiastic about it; the 53c80 family really don't
feature on anyones' map as a major SCSI controller solution these days.

Without someone with a strong agenda featuring this family and a wide
variety of implementations (there are probably half a dozen
significantly different ways you can integrate one of these controllers
into an ISA system) I'd say you can write the 'nca' driver off with the
2.2 family.