Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 00:41:43 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Finch <dot@dotat.at>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, fanf@chiark.greenend.org.uk, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Probably Solved] Re: UFS panic on -stable

In message <20020303143511.A46076@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway writes:
>> > Okay, bad news..gohan10 just panicked with the 'ufs_dirbad: bad dir'
>> Hrm, have we had anyone check the machine's fans and reset the cabling?
>At this point I think I'm just going to give up and go back to a
>known-good (hoped-good :) snapshot so I can try and get this damn

Kris will probably have further details, but it looks as if most
of these panics were caused by a swap configuration error. Normally
swapon(2) will return EBUSY if the specified device is already
configured for swapping, but it seems to be unable to detect this
situation if the original swapon() was performed using a device
node on a different filesystem.

On the package-building cluster the configuration has a MFS /dev
and then another /dev (maybe within a chroot) on a FFS filesystem.
It appears that something was doing `swapon /dev/ad0b' in both, and
both were succeeding. So anything that got swapped out (including
the pages making up the MFS filesystems) would most likely get
overwritten before being swapped back in later. That certainly
explains all the MFS corruption, ufs_dirbad, dup alloc, freeing
free inode, and maybe the double faults. I'm not sure if it could
have caused the other panics.

Ian