Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:17:08 GMT
From:      "Timothy J. lee" <timlee@sonic.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   usb/76395: USB printer does not work, usbdevs says "addr 0 should never happen!"

>Number:         76395
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       USB printer does not work, usbdevs says "addr 0 should never happen!"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have a PC (Asus A7M266 motherboard, AMD / VIA chipset) with FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE-p4 (kernel is like GENERIC, but has eisa and a bunch of storage stuff removed, and sound and COMPAT_LINUX added -- no changes to USB stuff from GENERIC) with a USB printer (Brother HL-5050).  USB printing to the same printer worked when the same computer had FreeBSD 4.8 on it.  The computer's USB stuff in dmesg is (after booting up with the printer on):

        uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb400-0xb41f irq 9 at device 4.2 on pci0
        uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
        usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
        usb0: USB revision 1.0
        uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
        ulpt0: Brother HL-5050, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
        ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
        uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb000-0xb01f irq 9 at device 4.3 on pci0
        uhci1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
        usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
        usb1: USB revision 1.0
        uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Now, when I boot up the computer with the printer on, or turn on the
printer for the first time after booting up, usbdevs shows:

        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
         addr 2: HL-5050, Brother
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA

Then when I cat a text file to /dev/unlpt0, the printer's green light turns
yellow, but nothing gets printed out.

When I cat a text file to /dev/ulpt0, the shell gets stuck (and the printer's
light turns green).  Afterward, usbdevs shows:

        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
         addr 2: product 0x0017, Brother Industries
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA

(pausing a long time between the first and second lines).  If the printer
is turned off and turned back on, usbdevs then shows:

        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
         addr 0 should never happen!
        addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA

and dmesg shows:

        uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

Neither lpd nor CUPS works either.

>How-To-Repeat:
Power on computer with printer turned on.  Try to print using cat, or set up lpr or CUPS and try to print.