Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:51:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        met@uberstats.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop

Jud wrote:

> [...]

You may find that having a dual boot is the only satisfactory
solution. I have because it isn't the browsers that cause the
problems. It is the web pages. For example, one of the sites that I
use for a reference is
http://www.llanera.com/musica/instrumentos.html. The URL has some
musical instruments that many of us have never heard about. If you
visit with Internet Explorer, you can see them. If you visit using
anything else, you can't. There are many sites like this but
Llanera.com was the first one to come to mind.

I trust the full blown messengers so well that I have them on a
sacrificial system. The rest are hidden behind a natd'ed firewall. The
document processors aren't there. For example, if you want DTP, you
need something like Adobe PageMaker and I don't have a version that
will run on FreeBSD. It is fully functional on Macs and Windows. I am
using a version of Kword to print text from FreeBSD. A letter to
someone important is printed on XP or W2K using WordPerfect.

If I don't trust a site, I connect using KDE-3's Kongueror on FreeBSD.
It is on a system behind me as I type this. I just swing around and
enter the URL.

YMMV

Kent

--