Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:22:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secure console bug in 2.1.5-RELEASE

A few days ago I posted about a problem I thought I was having with
making the console secure under 2.1.5-RELEASE.  While I haven't
received any responses, I have verified it is a bug, or at least
an undocumented change since 2.1.0-RELEASE.

How to unintentionally prevent root console logins:
1. Install FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE with DES.  (This doesn't happen
   with the standard MD5 stuff.)
2. Assign a password to the root account.
3. Change the console from "secure" to "insecure" in /etc/ttys.
4. Reboot in single-user mode.

After typing in the root password the system reports "init: single-user
login failed" and you will NOT be able to login!  You can press ^D to
boot on up to multi-user mode, but if you haven't added a user account
and put that account in the wheel group, root is locked out of the system.

So my question is, does anyone know what is broken?  Or am I doing
something really stupid?

Phil Gilley
pgilley@metronet.com