Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:43:51 +0100
From:      Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
To:        Philip Murray <pmurray@nevada.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Ware 9000 series hangs under load

Philip Murray wrote:

> I used to get this (FreeBSD 6.1 days) all the time, the controller
> would just lock up almost on a daily basis (and have to wait for the
> fsck 4 out of 24 hours in the day).
>
> Anyway, I stopped running 3dmd (or 3dm2 I think it's called now) to
> monitor it, and the crashes went away. It's had hundreds of days
> uptime since.
>
> I've never been game enough to try newer versions of 3dm, but a
> cronjob of tw_cli allows me to monitor it now without the lockups.
>
> Might not be your problem, but it's worth a shot if all else fails.

Ok, it realy looks, like 3dm2 is causing the same problems here too.

I've tried several 3dm2 versions and beginning with the version released
with 9.1.5.2 the system is crashing on high i/o loads. The previous
release included in 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 (made in 2004 iirc) is not crashing.
Every release which was made later causes system crashes as well.

I'll see what the support staff responds to that....

What cronjobs are you running in particlular to "replace" 3dm2?

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/