Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:57:06 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@lists.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 60,000 mailboxes w/ WebAccess

<this_email_has_trolling_written_all_over_it_please_don't_byte />

> > What would you suggest for the software?  imap-uw?
> > Sendmail/Postfix?  I've used squirrelmail and imp.  I also saw
> > GatorMail which looked super nice.  Any suggestions welcome.
>
> First of all : use Maildir :)
>
> my choice should be :
> - qmail
> - vpopmail with LDAP backend

Bleh.  I did the postfix + Maildir + courier + NFS bit for a few years
and won't do it again.  postfix + cyrus is a much more
scalable/reliable/functional/elegant combination (in my experience).
cyrus 2.2 has virtual domain support if you need it (have had it in
production for about 6mo now).

Whether or not you use qmail's a different matter, but I've been down
that road before too and won't comment on the topic.

> - imp (CVS version if you wish to use horde 3.x framework for portal)
> - courier-imap

I have about 2K in patches that I had to use to get courier to work
reliably with clients and to do what I needed.  The code is fugly if
you need to patch it.  I'd avoid this software like the plague,
looking back on it, it seems broken by design and doesn't let local
Maildir clients interoperate easily with IMAP clients.

> - perdition if you wish to use IMAP(s)/POP(s) proxy

cyrus has a scalability scheme called "murder," that seems to work
quite well.

> - NTP to avoid bad surprises with NFS/Maildir.

No need for NFS with cyrus because of murder.  postfix + lmtp + cyrus
== way I should've done things from the start and am now having to
migrate users and am kicking myself along the way.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden