Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:49:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net> [000920 12:48] wrote:
> > Hello Freebsders,
> >
> > I've been using FreeBSD over the last 6 years (since I switched from
> > NetBSD) to run a small ISP out of my basement.
> >
> > I've had about six disk crashes in as many years and still don't know how
> > to work reliably with them.
>
> "man vinum"
>
> software mirroring == good.

	The question should be, "How much you want to spend?"  Depending
	on how you answer that question, you could choose either software
	or hardware RAID.  I've always had better luck with hardware
	RAID cards compared to software RAID's.  ALthough vinum sounds
	like a great package, I have little experience with it...only ccd,
	which is why I went with a hardware solution.

	If you got money, get a RAID controller (supported by
	FreeBSD).  Then you don't have the root limitation that comes with
	vinum.

	If you don't have money, use vinum.  Either way, use RAID.

	Best of luck.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.