Date:      03 Mar 2004 14:19:39 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

Cordula's Web <cpghost@cordula.ws> writes:

> [jorn@wcborstel.nl]
> > I've been on the question list for some time, and I have noticed that
> > many people do not know how to get sound support up and running in
> > FreeBSD 5.X. I know that re-compiling the kernel is easy enough, but
> > there are still people not willing to do so, as I have noticed on the
> > list. Therefor I thought it might be an idea to put sound support in the
> > GENERIC kernel configuration, so that newbies will no longer find
> > themselves stuck with that.
>
> Yes, it would be great to have this in GENERIC,
> since it is a major annoyance for x86 desktop users.
>
> An alternative would be a knob in /etc/rc.conf
> which would invoke "kldload snd" (or whatever).

A vastly superior alternative.  Any hardware that isn't necessary for
an install shouldn't be probed during an install.  AGP support keeps
me from being able to boot GENERIC kernels on one of my machines.
Yes, that machine has some buggy firmware, but I don't think that
should automatically mean that FreeBSD won't work on it for the sake
of a feature it doesn't support anyway.

 - Lowell
--
I predict this will degenerate into a bikeshed discussion within 2
more messages.  Or maybe that's -2 messages...