Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:31:35 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User/virtual administration

I would advise that you look at:

http://ark.sourceforge.net

It's early days, but the underlying concept is related to what you are
proposing, and if the code turns out as good as the talk (reading
'Motivations', 'Key Ideas' and 'Fundamentals' should get you fired up), then
this will turn into something very interesting indeed.

I think the key to projects like this are to be able to produce a set of
open 'best practise' policies, with the tools there to support them. The
advantage to this approach is that I can still modify the policy to be able
to keep my alias table in a MySQL table, have my RADIUS authenticate
everybody no matter what user/pass you whack in, and other site-specific
madness.

I think taking sysadmin to the next level of abstraction is long overdue.