Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:19:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Tom Leung <tomlcf@hkstar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook in HTML and Dos format

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Tom Leung wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have downloaded the Handbook in HTML format. Its extension is .gz, so
> I unzip it with 'gzip.exe' under Dos, and I find that it is expaned into
> a single HTML file. I know that it should be broken down into several
> hundred HTML files, e.g. handbook.html, handbook2.html, handbook3.html,
> etc. How can I do that under Dos?

I don't think you want to do that.  The version of the handbook in
multiple sections has links to the other sections (or to next and
previous) and you wouldn't get these.

Assuming you've got Netscape on a Win3.1 or Win95 setup, you can
view and print from Netscape, and print the chapters you want.

> I also downloaded the Handbook in Dos format. However, there are some
> special characters inside. I guess that they are the formatting
> characters in the original document that supposed to be bold or
> underline. How can I properly format the document such that I can view
> or print the document properly?

If you have Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, you can use them to delete
the ^H (backspace) characters that create boldface when the document
is called to the screen under certain unix utilities (e.g., "more" and
"less").  Alternatively you can send them document (or sections of it,
if you divide it into chapters using a word processor) directly to the
printer and most printers will actually do the backspacing and print
it in a readable fashion.  I don't think under dos/win there is any
way to view this document in an acceptable manner.  But it's less
desirable than printing the HTML version from Netscape, because with
Netscape printing (IE should work too) you get the italics, bold, and
so forth, which is helpful in understanding it.

> Thanks and regards,
> Tom Leung.

	Annelise