Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 10:50:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Volker Paepcke <scratchy@VULCAN.franken.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug report for patchset 8

Volker Paepcke wrote:
> I think I've found a bug in patchset 8:
>
> After successfully installing and running Forte4J it seems to work
> very stable except some redraw problems in the menus. I think this
> is a known problem (I'm using Lesstif)!? The default font.properties
> is unusable, because the fonts have wrong metrics (The size seems to
> be correct but there is extra space above and below the characters).
> Installing the URW fonts with the correspoding font.propteries worked
> for me.

I would given OpenMotif a go (I haven't yet, but plan to in the near
future) and see if the menu problems go away.  You are more than welcome
to use the URW fonts, thats why the alternative font.properties is included
:).

> And here comes the bug: all external programm execution doesn't work!
> e.g. compiling with jikes or running cvs commands. The external programm
> terminates but the IDE is waiting forever. I've written a small program
> that reproduces this problem:
>
> import java.io.*;
>
> public class ExecTest
> {
>     public static void main(String args[])
>     {
>         try {
>             Process proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(new String[] { "date" });
>             proc.waitFor();
>         } catch (Exception ex) {
>             ex.printStackTrace();
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> the call to waitFor() never returns. With the JDK 1.1.8 and Blackdown's RC4
> the waitFor() call is returning immediatly. I'm running FreeBSD 4.0-Stable.

Thank you Volker, this is a very useful bug report and example!

> Aside from this all my self-written programms are working fine!!!
> I'm heavily using JDBC, RMI, JAI, CORBA (ORBacus) and many threads (but no
> calls to waitFor)...

Good to hear JDBC, RMI, etc. appear to be working :).

> Very nice work :-)

Thanks (on behalf of all those involved :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083