Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:34:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Anyway, the problem is that when running as a server (started with
> > '/usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp'), ppp doesn't seem to exit properly when
> > carrier is lost. There's nothing suggesting it actually detects the loss
> > of CD when I pull the (line) plug on the modem, and about 3 minutes later
> > it complains about the lack of response to LQR packets and declares the
> > bundle dead. However, the ppp task associated with that serial line
> > doesn't exit! It's still sitting there 20 minutes later, with 'who' still
> > showing up the login as if the modem was still connected. Meanwhile the
> > dialin line is just ringing out as obviously mgetty isn't running. To
> > regain control I have to log in via shell and kill off the ppp process.
> [.....]
>
> If you ``set log +debug'', ppp reports what it thinks about the state
> of carrier every second.  If your wiring is dodgy and carrier is
> not available, ppp will behave like this.

That still doesn't explain why ppp sticks around after it declares the
bundle closed due to lack of LQR replies... surely that's basically
equivalent to detecting carrier loss? :)

I'll increase the debug level and perhaps try an earlier version too, to
see if that changes anything.

BTW, the modems have been working fine with pppd...

BTW2, although I'm having this particular problem I'm otherwise impressed
with the stability and relative ease of setting up the multilink
connection - mpd looks similar but I figured user level ppp was probably
better supported. This is the initial test for a future set of (up to) 4 x
33.6k links.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/