Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mmead@goof.com (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 66 -> 80

> Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > >     Has anyone ever clocked a 486dx2/66 up to 80?  I'm considering
> > > doing this on my FreeBSD box.
> >
> > Most of them crap out some place between 70 and 72 Mhz...
> >
> > You can also cause serious CPU chip damage by doing this if you try to
> > run it much beyond the crap out point.
>
> 	Hmm.  Oh well, I was just being hopeful.
>
> > DO NOT attempt to run a 66Mhz part at 80Mhz, it will not work.
>
> 	I know several people that due just fine running their 66 chips at 80,
> but they'll probably end up replacing the CPUs soon... :-)

And what are the running on it at 80Mhz, DOS?  You might get away with
this in DOS/windows, but you won't running FreeBSD.

The only other thing, is do these people happen to have recent AMD DXL2/66's,
that are really probably 80Mhz 5V die that failed AMD's final test and
where packaged as 66Mhz parts.

AMD has had to stop manufacturing there 66Mhz parts, but Intel has yet (and
probably wont) stop them from makeing the 80Mhz parts.