Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:50:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Clark Mankin <cmankin@harbornet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

I'm not sure I followed you correctly. Are you saying that in order for
your machine to get to the outside world it needs to go through a gateway
on the other side of a router, and that you're trying to tell your machine
that it's default gateway is on a subnet that it is not part of? And if
you tell it to use the gateway of 0.0.0.0 (which is no gateway at all)
then you can ping things on your LAN but not outside of it?

It sounds like you're trying to work around a router that doesn't know how
to route, or something, but I'm not sure. If you reproduce a little of
what you have in your /etc/rc.conf file (like the defaultrouter="" line,
and the ifconfig lines) it might help to understand.

And again, to be clear, your nnetmask is 255.255.255.248, giving you a
host range of 209.180.198.17-22 and the router is at .22, yes?

thomas