Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:34:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antwort: Re: fetch through ftp-proxy =?ISO-8859-1?Q?doesn=B4t?= work on FreBSD 4.3-STABLE

andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de wrote:
 > BTW, do you know a fast ftp mirror program ?

/usr/ports/ftp/omi

 > Idea: wouldn´t it be a good idea to teach fetch recursive ftp (mirror mode) ?

That's very non-trivial, because the FTP protocol was
designed for that.  The format of the output from a "LIST"
ftp command (that's what you get when you type »dir« in a
FTP client) is not specified.  UNIX ls -l type output is
somehow a de-facto standard, but it's really not that easy.

Bottom line:  That job should be done by a dedicated mirror
program (such as omi), no by fetch.

 > I´m behind a firewall and I would prefer to get the 4.4-STABLE sources without
 > having to burn it at home on CD ...

You mean something like this?
omi -s ftp.de.freebsd.org -r /pub/FreeBSD/branches/4.0-stable/src /usr/src

That would work (and it would -- like a mirror is expected
to do do -- retrieve only files that have changed since the
previous run).

 > It would be fine, to have a daily updated CVS.tgz and a src.tgz file of -STABLE
 > sitting somewhere in FreeBSD ftp land for whose who cannot use cvsup.

Well, in that case you'd have to transfer the whole .tgz
every time.  Not very efficient.  Better mirror the actual
directory tree.

 > Or is cvsup able to get the sources or cvs deltas via something like ftp ? ;-)
 > I think no ;-)

CTM might be an option, too.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Just a small hint:  It might be a good idea to
configure your MUA to insert "Re:" instead of "Antwort:".
;-)