Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:42:27 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>, nate@trout.sri.mt.net, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> 1) Programs which are not a part of FreeBSD and do not use bsd.*.mk.
> When compiling, they should use the header files in /usr/include, and
> /usr/include/{sys,netinet,net,nfs,netiso,netccitt,machine} should
> point to the appropriate directories in the kernel source tree.

Fine.  We're not talking about eliminating /usr/include here, Garrett,
we're talking about making our *own* sources use relative paths.  On a
system that has been installed from a scratch distribution, the user
is going to have a perfectly reasonable /usr/include to depend on.  If
they start making changes to their /usr/src/blah/foo/bar.h files then
they can damn well install them if they like.

> 2) Programs which are not a part of FreeBSD and DO use bsd.*.mk.  When
> compiling, they should use exactly the same header files and libraries
> as programs in set (1).

Fine.  See above.

> 3) Programs which are a part of FreeBSD, but are being compiled
> outside of the source tree (perhaps the user doesn't have all the
> sources).  When compiling, they should use exactly the same header
> files and libraries as programs in set (1).

Any program which is "part" of FreeBSD should be compiled "inside" the
source tree, period.  Sure, it may work for some things to be compiled
in any old location but certainly not everything, and if it's not
guaranteed to be deterministic then it should be discouraged.  Period.

> 4) Programs which are a part of FreeBSD, and are being compiled as a
> part of `make all' from the top level.  When compiling, they should
> use the previously-built header files and libraries.  Note that this

Yes and no.  I think they should depend first on the libraries in
/usr/src/lib/*/{obj,}/*.a and then go look in /usr/lib only if no
libraries exist there.  Clearly, the generated include files and
libraries will still need to be made first in a top-down make, but
this is a lot less complex of a "world" target than we have now!

					Jordan