Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:27:24 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 17 Jan 2012, at 21:09, Warner Losh wrote:

>=20
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 11:12 AM, John Kozubik wrote:
>> Again, I'm not suggesting more snapshots - I am suggesting more real, =
bona fide releases.  This will help people.
>=20
> I tend to agree with you.  Our release engineering process isn't =
serving the needs of users as much as it once did.  When Walnut Creek =
was running release engineering, we had releases often because they =
wanted to make money from their subscriptions.  This produced reasonably =
spaced minor releases and except for 4-5, decently spaced major =
releases.  Even after the torch passed from walnut creek to others, =
there was still either residual pressures to make the releases happen, =
or inherited mindset that keep on the same pace.
>=20
> Today we have lost our way.  We have no major vendor pushing the =
process along to make it happen faster.=20

What exactly did the major vendor to push things along? Keep nagging?

I'd have thought PC-BSD and iXsystems are the natural people to to take =
over that role in any
case.   The FreeBSD foundation seems  less interested in the "for =
end-users" angle as well.

- Mark=