Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:13:55 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        gea@masternet.it
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp not resolving names

> --------------122922847688
>
> I'm running ppp, but I can't have name resolved, other than the ones specified in
> /etc/hosts, it seems it can't reach any name resolver. note that if I give directly IPs
> everything seems to work (ping, telnet..).

[snip]

>  Attached are my ppp configuration files and my /etc/sysconfig.

The key is in the contents of the /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf and
/etc/resolv.conf files. Assuming you have a standalone machine, and
are not running a nameserver, they should look something like this:-

/etc/hosts
~~~~~~~~~~
127.0.0.1       localhost
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd myhost.mydomain

where myhost.mydomain is the fully-qualified host name, eg
jraynard.demon.co.uk in my case, and aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is its IP
address.

/etc/host.conf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hosts
bind

/etc/resolv.conf
domain mydomain
nameserver www.xxx.yyy.zzz

Where mydomain is the domain name, eg demon.co.uk in my case, and
www.xxx.yyy.zzz is the IP address of the nameserver (if there is more
than one nameserver, put them on separate lines).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
jraynard@dial.pipex.com