Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:54:38 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        danny@alpha.net.au
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSI layering Query.. Please Help ME

> From: Danny Ho <danny@alpha.net.au>
> Date: 1999-03-26 15:47:31 -0800
> To: net@FreeBSD.ORG, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
> Subject: OSI layering Query.. Please Help ME
>
> Hi everyone I am sort  of new( 1 year experience in this ISP job)
>
> Anyway, I have one query about OSI layering.
>
> What are some of the advantages of OSI layer as seen in the OSI model??
	Perhaps the biggest advantage of the OSI model is the
language it brings to the design of protocols.  Opinions will vary as
to the advantages in actual implementation, but generally, some
adherence to the layering model makes your code cleaner and more
maintainable.  You need to weigh that aspect against that of
performance, which is where things will get interesting.  You can
find detailed discussions of the model, and its applicabiliity to IP,
in many places.  See, e.g., Stallings, "Handbook of Computer
Communications Standards, V. 1, The Open Systems Interconnect model
..." (MacMillan/Stallings); Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated, V1"
(Addison Wesley), discusses layering as it applies specifically to
TCP and IP (i.e., up through what OSI calls the transport layer).

> And what exactly are PDU?
	Protocol Data Units - this is OSI-speak for "packets",
although it allows you to talk about packets at the various protocol
layers (e.g., an IP packet as distinct from a TCP packet or an
ethernet packet).

> What exactly is SAP??
	Service Access Point - it's a protocol addressing term.
E.g., in IP terms, an SAP at the network layer would be a port (and
is known as an NSAP).  You'd need to delve more deeply into the OSI
model to appreciate the subtlety of the concept :-}.

> I am really confused help me.
	Hope this helps.

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *
Institute for General Semantics       |
Manager, CoreOS Networking            |   Men are from Earth.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  |   Women are from Earth.
2 Infinite Loop                       |       Deal with it.
Cupertino, CA 95014                   |