Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 14:41:44 -0400
From:      Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
To:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@iagi.net>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, mdomsch@dellgate.us.dell.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Alok K. Dhir wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Bob Willcox wrote:
>
> > Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > >
> > >  * > > > assertion "cp == np->header.cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5235
> > >  * > > > assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5236
> > >  * > > > ncr0 targ0?: ERROR (80:100) (e-ab-2) (8/13) @ (10d4:e000000).
> > >  * > > >              reg: da 10 0 13 47 8 0 1f 0 e 80 ab 80 0 3 0.
> > >  * > > > ncr0: restart (fatal error).
> > >  * > > > ncr0: reset by timeout.
> > >  * > > > sd0: error reading primary partition table from fsbn 0 (sd0 bn 0; cn 0
> > >  * > > > tn 0 sn 0)
> > >
> > > Just another datapoint, I am seeing this from time to time on my
> > > -current system too.  NCR 53C825, with Quantam Atlas 2.1GB as the lone
> > > SCSI device, SiS chipset, Pentium-90.  The only other device on PCI
> > > bus is video card (#9 GXE64 Pro).
> > >
> > > It's not predictable though, my guess is that it happens about 1/3 of
> > > the time.  If the boot gets through the fsck stage, it will run fine
> > > for days.  Otherwise, it will spew a river of errors and I need to
> > > open the lid and press the reset button.  It always succeeds after the
> > > reset (or so it seems, I don't remember having to reset twice in a
> > > row).
> >
> > I have seen many of these messages here on a system that I just
> > upgraded to 2.0.5 and a Pentium-100 (I placed a copy of one
> > representative example at the end of this note).  Previously, under
> > 1.1.5.1 using 3 BusLogic BT-747S controllers and 486DX4/100, all
> > 15 of disk drives were happy...system would run for weeks w/o
> > incident and I had *no* disk problems.  Now, with the current
> > configuration:
>
> I too, am seeing the 1 boot out of 3 freaks out problem with the exact
> same symptoms as the above couple of messages.  This box (Asus SP3G,
> 486dx2/66, onboard NCR SCSI driving Quantum Empire 2100S and a HP 35480
> DAT drive) used to run 1.1.5.1 perfectly - never a problem on reboot.
> Now (2.0.5ish) freaks one out of three times with the NCR probing errors
> and then the river of errors.  Can fix it by hitting reset 9 times out of 10.

Same motherboard, Asus (whatever) 486-66, NCR PCI, 2940, smc pci,
Seagate, Dat (on or off doesn't matter)

reboots sometimes, Most of the not. Unmount correctly, but the
screen goes black, and sits there, Install program, Umounts,
but sits there.
but then out of the blue it'll reboot correctly.
Also *NO* disk problems. Nor any problems with anything else,
NT/WIN95/WARP/LINUX/SCO/UNIXWARE/DOS.