Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2018 10:18:13 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "Filippo Moretti" <filippomore@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem with Current amd64

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:56:16 +0200, Filippo Moretti
<filippomore@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I reinstalled src and ports via svnlite and it seems to work.I will post
> the files required once I have the pkgs installed
> thank you
> Filippo

Please keep the mailinglist in your reply addresses. Other people know
much more than I do. ;-)

Ronald.

From owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org  Fri Jul 20 11:36:30 2018
To: freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
From: Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Subject: gcc/clang interoperability problem with a custom "samba" build in
 recent -current.
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 19:32:48 +0800

compiling our samba with gcc 4.2.1 in 12 gave us some off behaviour
when lld became the linker I think..

1/ linking needed some directories added to some of the build scripts
because previously apparently it looked in $SYSROOT/usr/lib by default
and now it doesn't.

2/ compiling our samba produces a libtdb.so that has various symbols
in it, (according to nm(1) ), but when we try link against it we get
complaints about those symbols not being defined.

3/ an attempt to switch to using clang to compile everything leads to:

"--aes-accel=intelaesni selected and compiler rejects -Wp,-E,-lang-asm.

One wonders whether there is a clang equivalent of "-Wp,-E,-lang-asm"

The AES acceleration is a configure option for the samba package.

Apparently turning it on requires -Wp,-E,-lang-asm.

which apparently gcc 4.2.1 has, but clang doesn't have.

    FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based
    on LLVM 6.0.1)
    Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.0
    Thread model: posix
    InstalledDir: /usr/bin

anyone know if there is a clang equivalent of -Wp, -E,-lang-asm?

possible work arrounds include:

1/ Get gcc/lld to produce a library from which lld can find the symbols

2/ find a way to compile this with clang but everything else with gcc?

3/ find a way to allow clang to use
-Wp,-E,-lang-asm

whatever that means

Thoughts from any tools people?