Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:55:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Casey <chriss@phys.ksu.edu>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccc

Since I have absolutely no fortran knowledge what I'm depending on is what
the theorists here say they use/do.

I installed all the linux fortran stuff which was a whole other mess but
finally tackled and probably needs its own writeup eventually

Here is what happens with linux_devtools:

test@polaris:~> fort -extend_source -arch ev6 -L /compat/linux/usr/lib
-lcxml -o CN1D_2 CrankNicholson.1D.f
test@polaris:~>

yay...
Here is what happens with no linux_devtools (kinda long):

test@polaris:~> fort -extend_source -arch ev6 -L /compat/linux/usr/lib
-lcxml -o CN1D_2 CrankNicholson.1D.f
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libc.so.6.1, needed by
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so, not found (try using -rpath or
-rpath-link)
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `getenv@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`strcpy@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `strchr@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`catclose@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`_IO_getc@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`strftime@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libcxml.so: undefined reference to `stdout'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libFutil.so: undefined reference to
`__ieee_get_fp_control@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libcpml.so: undefined reference to
`__ieee_get_fp_control'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`localtime@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`strncpy@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`strcmp@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`gettimeofday@GLIBC_2.1'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `alarm@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`tolower@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`sprintf@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`strncat@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`strncmp@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`getrusage@GLIBC_2.1'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`__lxstat@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`gmtime@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libots.so: undefined reference to
`__ieee_set_fp_control'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `stdin@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `qsort@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `sscanf@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `execl@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `memcpy@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`getlogin@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `ctime@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`ttyname@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `clock@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `time@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`getpwuid@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`tempnam@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`catgets@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `exit@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `stdout@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`strcspn@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`catopen@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`rename@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`_IO_putc@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`freopen@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `fileno@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`fprintf@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`__fxstat@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `perror@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`strlen@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libcpml.so: undefined reference to
`__errno_location'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`stderr@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to `strcat@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to
`__ctype_b@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`__ieee_set_fp_control@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so: undefined reference to `abort@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`__xstat@GLIBC_2.0'
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libfor.so: undefined reference to
`getpwnam@GLIBC_2.0'
fort: Severe: Failed while trying to link.
test@polaris:~>

So it expects to find libc which devtools contains. I tried removing
glibc-devel-2.1.2.17 which populates /compat/linux/usr/include which is
what ccc seems to stumble on and then it gives me this:

test@polaris:~> fort -extend_source -arch ev6 -L /compat/linux/usr/lib
-lcxml -o CN1D_2 CrankNicholson.1D.f
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libc.so.6.1, needed by
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libUfor.so, may conflict with libc.so.4
/usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol __start; defaulting to
0000000120009320
test@polaris:~>

so that short term easy fix in my case doesnt seem to be there, at least
not that one. But that would not help in the case of the super duper devel
box where everything plays nice.

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> Do this.  Deinstall linux_devel.  Then manually install Compaq FORTRAN.
> Try to use it and report back the errors.  The goal is to come up with a
> set of instructions on how to install it such that it co-lives with the
> compaq-cc port.  Having such instructions in hand makes a compaq-f77
> port easier.

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Chris Casey
Unix System Administrator
KSU Physics Department
(785) 532-6810