Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:22:40 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help?  6.1-S: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

--LDIQjkDCVuSPHPqA

I had one of these a couple of weeks ago or so; I had been distracted by
some more urgent matters that came up (the panic was on a machine under
test; the more urgent matters were little things like needing to deploy
a handful of resolvers on our network because existing ones were running
on systems that had provided evidence of being prone to imminent
failure).

Anyway:  I updated the 2 boxen under test to 6.1-STABLE as of this
morning, and finally(!) had a chance to re-try the failing operation.

It went "kaboom!" again.  :-{  (Well, there's something to be said for
consistency.  :-})

The setup is thus:

* On machine "C", I run smtp-sink (one of the test programs from Postfix).

* On machine "B" (the machine & software under test), I fire up the
  software being tested, which acts as an SMTP relay, accepting mail and
  relaying it to machine C (where it gets counted and discarded).

* On machine "A", I have installed the mail/postal port; I run "postal,"
  directing it to send mail to the SMTP server on machine B (the machine
  under test).

It seems to run OK (albeit slowly) for a couple of minutes; then the
serial console reports:

cpuid =3D 0; apic id =3D 06
fault virtual address   =3D 0x0
fault code              =3D supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     =3D 0x20:0x0
stack pointer           =3D 0x28:0xf09b3b98
frame pointer           =3D 0x28:0xf09b3bcc
code segment            =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process         =3D 23782 (ecelerity)
[thread pid 23782 tid 100120 ]
Stopped at      0:      *** error reading from address 0 ***
db> trace
Tracing pid 23782 tid 100120 td 0xcc445180
db>=20

Now, the software being tested apparently exercises threads quite a bit.

The hardware (for machine B) is a dual Xeon @ 3 GHz & 4 GB RAM.

The kernel config is pretty simple:

-------------%< snip! -------------------
include PAE
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel

nodevice        hptmv
nodevice        bce

options         MAXDSIZ=3D"(2000UL*1024*1024)"
options         KDB
options         KDB_TRACE
options         DDB

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=3D0      #do not limit verbosity
options DUMMYNET
options IPDIVERT
-------------%< snip! -------------------

So:  I have a pair of these machines, configured identically.  Each
is connected to a terminal server for access to the serial console.  I
have a private mirror of the FreeBSD CVS repository; I'm tracking RELENG_6
& HEAD on my laptop daily; I could try building CURRENT on one of these
boxen if it would help get the problem solved.

The software under test was built for FreeBSD 5.x; I have the
misc/compat5x port installed.

The vendor claims that they don't have this kind of problem with "Linux,"
and if I can't get it to run without letting the magic smoke leak out,
I'll probably end up trying to hack my way through installing some flavor
of Linux on one of the machines, which prospect I find remarkably
unappealing.

Maybe the DTrace stuff would help?

Could someone please work with me on this, so we can have a software
vendor recommending that their customers deploy their software on
FreeBSD, rather than recommending against it?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
--=20
Doing business with spammers only encourages them.  Please boycott spammers.

--LDIQjkDCVuSPHPqA

--LDIQjkDCVuSPHPqA--