Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 02:35:11 +0000
From:      John <jwd@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enable chown by non-root users over NFS

Hi Folks,

   We have a $NFS_FILESERVER we're trying to replace with a ZFS based
system. Everything works quite well except for some processes which fail
trying to give away ownership of a file.

   In this instance, $NFS_FILESERVER has a system level option, root_only_chown,
which is disabled, which allows the chown ownership giveaways to work.
(Yes, it's a security issue. No, I can't change the process). Note, this is
not a maproot issue. Wrong rabbit hole :-)

   I've started poking through the code. Also thought I'd ask here if
anyone has run into this issue and how they solved it, or if anyone
has any suggestions. Feel free to tell me I'm missing something obvious
also...

Thanks,
John