Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:10:14 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Tim Mawhinney <timmawhinney@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Darwin

* Tim Mawhinney (timmawhinney@mac.com) [020405 08:55]:
> The Free BSD site boasts the features below:-
>

> *	A merged virtual memory and filesystem buffer cache
> continuously tunes the amount of memory used for programs and the disk
> cache. As a result, programs receive both excellent memory management
> and high performance disk access, and the system administrator is freed
> from the task of tuning cache sizes.
> *	Compatibility modules enable programs for other operating
> systems to run on FreeBSD, including programs for Linux, SCO UNIX,
> NetBSD, and BSD/OS.
> *	Kernel Queues allow programs to respond more efficiently to a
> variety of asynchronous events including file and socket IO, improving
> application and system performance.
> *	Accept Filters allow connection-intensive applications, such as
> web servers, to cleanly push part of their functionality into the
> operating system kernel, improving performance.
> *	Soft Updates allows improved file system performance without
> sacrificing safety and reliability. It analyzes meta-data filesystem
> operations to avoid having to perform all of those operations
> synchronously. Instead, it maintains internal state about pending
> meta-data operations and uses this information to cache meta-data,
> rewrite meta-data operations to combine subsequent operations on the
> same files, and reorder meta-data operations so that they may be
> processed more efficiently.
> *	Support for IPsec and IPv6 allows improved security in
> networks, and support for the next-generation Internet Protocol, IPv6.
>
> I just wondered how many of these features Darwin now includes due to
> its substantial FreeBSD lineage.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Mawhinney.

Tim,

	Darwin's lineage is a bit diverse, with roots in a few systems. It's base
is firmly entrenched in BSD, but not soley FreeBSD. It is not soley derived
from FreeBSD either. Some good resources for your question can be found at:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/faq.html
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
Send mail w/ subject 'send public key' or query for (0x251A4B18)
Fingerprint = A642 F299 C1C1 C828 F186  A851 CFF0 7711 251A 4B18

ps -
You might want to update your computer's date. I almost missed your question
because it was sorted (by date) to the bottom of a queue of 1887 emails. =)

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1970 00:30:05 +0000