Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:29:17 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Stephen Mathezer <mathezer@newera.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Licensing and liability issues for commercial development

> What if we write software to back up a FreeBSD machine and it gets lost
> due to a FreeBSD bug?  How can we cover our butts in this situation?

Explicitly deny any responsibilities for data loss.  See the license on
similar products.

> The Gcc license stipulates that for software compiled with gcc, object
> must be made freely available.  We don't really want to do that.  Plus,
> what happens if gcc tightens the license further?

Reread the license.  It says *no* such thing.  You're safe from having
to provide object code, but given that you don't understand the license,
I'd be talking to a lawyer.  This is *necessary* if you are worried
about these kinds of issues, and the poor folks on this list are only
armchair lawyers. :)

Nate