Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 95 9:42:49 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov, dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@cs.hut.fi, witr@rwwa.com
Subject:   Re: BSD Consortium?

> > Having a consortium may also give potential comercial software
> > creators more reason to write/port software to the os's.
>
> And may also give other software vendors (OS vendors) reason to go for
> round two with us :-(

Disagree.  Unless the consortium would be doing its own OS realeases
(IT WOULD NOT) then it could not possibly serve as a choke-point.

There is *significantly* more danger in incorporating the FreeBSD or
NetBSD projects themselves, since they *do* make OS releases.

> Well FreeBSD doesnt have directors, but it does have activists who
> would'nt want to see more lawyers letters.

I would argue that these individuals are already targets, whereas
legally attacking a consortium of which members of the groups are
members would get them nowhere.

Consider the viability of attacking an ACM SIG to stop competing
real time developement because ACM happens to have a SIG about RT.

The issue is tangential at best.

This was truly an issue for an incorporation of one camp or the
other, but is less of an issue now that agreements have been
reached regarding the 4.4 code.

> I also forsee a request to create a seperate mailing list to dump
> such discusions into, to keep 'em out of hackers@f..

Like this one?  8-).  The problem is the same one as that of news
group formation: where do you go to discuss the formation of the
group rec.autos.lada?  Where people who are interested in Lada's
hang out -- which seems to be the comp.os.386bsd.* and comp.os.linux.*
groups.

I've already suggested moving this to a news group cross-posting
instead; I think a seperate mailing list would simply kill it,
especially if this placed it under the auspices of one group or the
other.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---