Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:04:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Just by chance I bought a Microsoft "ergonomic" keyboard yesterday
> (no, not for me, for a customer).  I tried it out and found it much
> worse than I expected.

It takes more than a day to settle into it.

> I couldn't type at all, and the Alt-ctrl-foo
> combinations were even worse than on a normally broken keyboard, due
> probably to this damn silly flag key.

I use the little finger on control (mapped to the key labeled
caps lock) and the thumb on alt.  It work just dandy for me.  I
find alt-control more trouble on regular keyboards, unless the
control is down on the bottom row where it shouldn't be.
However, I can see how control alt would be bad on the MS without
the control remapped.

> to handle.  Normally I rest my forearms on the armrest of the chair,
> and that doesn't work if you have to twist them through 15°.

I guess you have a different geometry.  :-)  You probably should
check out the US$500 Comfort Keyboard.  You can adjust it about
any way you could possibly want.

> intended for that.  I wonder if this is the beginning of an indication
> that the mainstream has seen the error of its ways and is coming back
> to using the keyboard for data entry.

I'd interpret it as a recognition that it is easier to offer a
couple input mechanisms than to standardize the user.  In
reality, I'll bet its more a marketing gimmic than anything else.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================