Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:41:22 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        jsw@cywub.sitel.net
Cc:        bsd_usr@yahoo.com (Joey Garcia), questions@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any good books on IP?

> From: jsw@cywub.sitel.net
> Date: 2000-06-07 12:33:35 -0700
> To: bsd_usr@yahoo.com (Joey Garcia)
> Subject: Re: Any good books on IP?
> Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some good
> > books related to IP addressing, subnetting, and
> > routing, and anything else related to IP.
>
> The bible of networking is _Computer_Networks_ by Andrew Tanenbaum.
> This covers not only IP but others as well and provides a good basis
> for additional readings.
>
> It's now in its third (maybe 4th or more) edition. Each edition has
> less and less math and hardcore theory.
>
> Comer (Comar?) and Stevens have an excellent in-depth three-volume
set that
> focuses entirely on IP. VERY detailed.

I'll also recommend the work of W. Richard Stevens: TCP/IP
Illusstrated, V1 and 2 (Addison Wesley); and Unix Network
Programming, 2nd Ed, V1.  The former deals with the protocol
definitions (V1) and a code walkthrough of the BSD 'lite' IP stack
code (V2); the latter deals with network programming from an
application/utility point of view, is very detailed, and full of
interesting insights.

Regards,

Justin

--