Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:07:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        ReV@BlinkLink.NET
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of sight

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 ReV@BlinkLink.NET wrote:

> To be able to move around in the dos/win environment, I use a special vga
> video board (Vista) that allows to magnify the screen. A small 12k tsr
> primes the magnification facilities, otherwise it behaves just like a
> standard vga card.

Obviously a DOS tsr may not work with FreeBSD.  :)  If its only
purpose is to initialize the video board, you may be able to run
it and then boot FreeBSD with fbsdboot.exe.  Or any other way of
booting FreeBSD which avoids re-initializing the video...  ;)

> My question is: Is the text mode DOS session emulated from XFree86 running
> full screen or in a window or are they both possible like an os2 vdm???

I believe the answer is "in a window", for PCemu.

However, I think that the DOS emulator (in -current) does not
require X windows.  You can ask on the freebsd-emulation list, or
just try it to see.  :)

> Otherwise, is there any system wide magnification system that operates
> reliably under fbsd?

I don't know of anything that works with specific hardware.
However, the question of access for those with particular needs
has come up before, and there may be a better answer to this.
You might try asking on the freebsd-chat list.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk