Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:43:49 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/fs/nullfs null.h null_subr.c null_vnops.c

You are pretty much spot on with your observations.

I don't think there is much fundamental disagreement about what
needs to happen, where we need to go, if you ask the different
people who have studied this mess of code, so I am not so
worried about us not ending up the right place.  The danger of
course is if somebody attacks a subset of the problem without
holding the entire problem in focus.

My comments about nullfs and unionfs, shoul not be construed as I
want to kill those features, it was more meant as "they will not
be my primary priorities and if they break temporarily, so be it."

Stackable filesystems are not exactly mandatory, but I think we
need to have them for a number of important applications.