Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:08:27 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Eric Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading openssh

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 04:52:24PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2004 10:41, Nagilum wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > The base version of openssh is updated frequently (especially if any
> > vulnerabilities are discovered), so why bother with the port?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Alex.
> >
> > Eric Crist wrote:
> > >After figuring out perl (with the help of Matthew, I was wondering what
> > > the proper way to install/upgrade openssh.  I assume it's to install from
> > > ports, and somehow disable the installed, system version.
> > >
> > >What's the proper method?
>
> Someone pointed out I was using an outdated version.  I just did a complete
> system upgrade the other day, so I assumed ports was the only way to go (I
> mean, look at the perl installation...)

You could also update /usr/src/ and do a make world. You won't get the
most recent version but one that will do nicly and you don't have to
wurry about how to go about.

An outdated version isn't bad per say. For stability a outdated version
is usaly better. For security a recent version is better. All that
matter is that there are no security risk. And as stated by Nagilum,
when there's a security risk then its alway updated and else it may take
some time.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: