Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:27:21 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
Subject:   Re: GEOM_RAID in GENERIC is harmful

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:13:51 am Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>  From my point of view GEOM_RAID in GENERIC kernel is a bomb, and we
> will lose lots of FreeBSD beginners due to this.

I had the completely opposite experience.  I bought a new desktop and wanted
to use the onboard SATA RAID.  9.0 didn't work out-of-the-box with a RAID-1
volume configured using the BIOS.  I knew to kldload geom_raid.ko, but not all
new users know to do that.  I think the onboard SATA RAID on typical x86
motherboards is something we should be supporting out of the box.  I don't
disagree that there were some surprising side effects from enabling GEOM_RAID,
but I think your viewpoint is very much one-sided.

--
John Baldwin