Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:09:47 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        kstewart@urx.com, freebsd@sysmach.com, FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-install.iso

> From: "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:36:15 +1000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> > I have Nero on one system but haven't tried it. I just built a couple
> > of systems and added CD-R/RW to them. Each was different to see what
> > they did. The only one I haven't tried is Nero.
>
> Its essentially similar to Adaptec, my problem with it & all the other CD
> copy
> apps is that the developers obviously thought that nobody would think of
> actually burning ISOs so any possible way of doing that was hidden away
> where nobody would find it.
>
> There is no question in my mind that Adaptec's software was much more
> straight foreward than the other burners. The other's all had the logic but
> you really > had to hunt to figure out what to do. EZ-CD Creator has a
> tendancy to hang on my system after burning two or three CD's. None of
> the others do that.

I simply don't understand this. I wonder if people are working too
hard at this. "iso" is normally a known file type to CD burning
software under Windows.

I download the iso (saving it to disk with the iso extension), drop a
blank CD-RW in the drive, and double-click on the downloaded file
icon. The Adaptec software fires up and I just tell it to burn. You
might want to do a test run first, but it's very unlikely that you
will have to reduce writing speed when burning an ISO image as the
source disk is much faster than the burner and it's simply moving the
data. About 5 or 10 minutes later, the CD is burned and I'm ready to
use it.

I'm told that Nero behaves in a very similar manner, but I have never
tried it. I have used both Adaptec V3 and V4. I have not tried the
newer V5, but I doubt it's changed.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)