Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:52:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2R (src 2.2 211) /stand/sysinstall vs XFree86

Having downloaded 2.2R (sans XFree86) onto a DOS partition I successfully
installed it from that partition using a boot floppy I created as
instructed in the installation documentation.

Having played with it a while - customized the kernel, make world'ing etc.
I decided to install XFree86.  Good thing I waited - since all the
binaries were updated early this morning! Having downloaded the new
XFree86 stuff into the FreeBSD/XF8632 directory on my DOS partition I
booted FreeBSD and ran /stand/sysinstall as root.  I selected Custom
installation, media DOS, custom distribution, and XFree86.  When I choose
commit I got the error message that compat21 could no be installed 'maybe
because it's not on the media I chose'.  After a little experimention it
seemed clear that nothing would install from the DOS partition anymore.

I then did a 'mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /cfat' and repeated my original
process, this time specifying a source of 'existing file system' and
giving a root of /cfat/FreeBSD.  Everything worked.

Is the DOS media selection only good during an initial installation?  Or
did I do something wrong?

---- Ken