Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:24:24 +0100
From:      George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE, multiple sound cards, SMP.. hunh?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:52:07PM -0400, David E. Cross wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 4.4-RELEAES on my home SMP box (I previously tested
> the RCs on just about everything else).  I ran into the following issue:
> I add "device pcm" to my kernel config, reboot, and my system locks right
> after it probes the second soundcard.  This is the same kernel config I have
> been using for 2 years, and was imported from 4.3-SECURITY.  My specific
> config is:
>   Dual-Proc P2-450
>   512MB ECC RAM,
>   SB-Live Gold (PCI)
>   OPTi931 at port 0x534-0x537,0x380-0x38b,0x220-0x22f,0xe0c-0xe0f irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0

I'm technically the maintainer of the MSS driver (which includes code for
the horrible, broken OPTi931) but I don't have the hardware to
test/reproduce/fix this.  As far as I'm concerned, you should ditch the
OPTi931 and invest œ5/$5/whatever in a cheap ISA soundcard that actually
works -- the cards have fairly serious bugs.